Welcome to the History of Calvary UMC!

Learn the history of our church through the timeline below, and thought the original history booklet, complied and written in the mid-1990s and reprinted this year. Get the PDF here, and let us know if you have any Calvary history you’d like us to hear about!

  • 1744 • Methodists in Maine

    After working with “father of Methodism” John Wesley, well-known revivalist George Whitefield traveled to York, Maine. He later preached at Portland and Kennebunk as well.

  • 1793 • First Methodist Minister

    Maine’s first Methodist minister, Rev. Jesse Lee, was appointed to what was then called the District of Maine. He preached Lewiston’s first Methodist sermon the next year. Rev. Lee also established a Methodist society in Readfield, and in 1795, Maine’s first Methodist church was dedicated there.

  • 1845 • Methodism in Lewiston

    After years on the Poland circuit, Lewiston welcomed its first steady preacher, Rev. Thomas Greenhalgh. He is considered our church’s first pastor.

  • 1852 • Lewiston Methodist Society

    According to an account written by Miriam Harris and Dorothy Parker, “although progress was being made, there was bitter opposition in town to the organization of a Methodist Society. The first meeting of ladies interested in a Methodist Society was held in the home of Mrs. Oakes.”

  • 1854 • The First Building

    A large building was constructed on Albion Street, on land donated by the Union Water Power Co. The contractor was Almon Gardener, the grandfather of one of our beloved current church members. Lewiston Falls Methodist Church was dedicated on September 9, 1854.

  • 1861 • Park Street

    When Lewiston City Park was established, Albion Street was renamed to Park Street. Afterward, the church was renamed to Park Street Methodist Church. That same year, 71 people from Auburn withdrew their memberships and began their own church, High Street Methodist Church.

  • 1875 • Hammond Street Church

    With church attendance sometimes exceeding 400, the church decided to construct a second building. The church was dedicated on June 12, 1876. Until 1897, one pastor served both churches.

  • 1923 • The Church Reunites

    After 48 years in separate buildings and 26 years of separate pastors, Lewiston’s two Methodist churches merged and became Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church.

  • 1968 • Calvary UMC Established

    On April 23, 1968, The United Methodist Church was established. The name of our church officially became Calvary United Methodist Church.

  • 1970 • A New Building

    When the two churches merged in 1923, the newly united congregation worshiped at the Hammond Street location. When a new building was needed, First United Church of Christ generously offered their church building on Sabattus Street as a gift. The only conditions on the title: Calvary had to take good care of the building, use the building as a church, and hold regular worship services there for 10 years. On September 28, 1970, Calvary met for the last time at the Hammond Street location and walked together to their new building at 59 Sabattus Street. After the 10-year probation period, the building was signed over in a special service on September 28, 1980.

  • 2001 • City Mission Established

    Calvary’s City Mission program started as a way to provide free meals to anyone who needed it. Today, City Mission meals are served Wednesday evenings at 4:30 and Sunday mornings at 8:00. Anyone who wants a meal or a cup of coffee is welcome to join!

  • 2013 • Calvary Becomes Reconciling

    After a long and challenging period of discernment, Calvary United Methodist Church voted to become a Reconciling ministry. This means that we welcome all people—of every gender identity and sexual orientation—into full participation into the life of our church.

  • Today

    Calvary United Methodist Church, now also known as “The Church in the Triangle,” is still located at 59 Sabattus Street. We’re located purposefully in downtown Lewiston because that’s where our heart is. Although we’re not currently meeting in our building due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are still actively in ministry. Join us Sunday mornings at 9:30 on Facebook Live!